QUT LIBRARY REFURBISHMENT
''A sympathetic and appropriately restrained addition to a classic John Andrews / John Simpson University building with a surprising interior that creates multiple student study and social spaces.''
- Award Jury Citation
Peddle Thorp architects joined forces with James Cubitt Architects on the design and documentation of two refurbishment projects for QUT: - The Gardens Point Campus Library (V Block), and - Levels 2 – 5 of the Kelvin Grove Library (R Block).
The work associated with R Block at the university’s Kelvin Grove campus required an extensive masterplan to understand and define how the library building both responds to its community and helps shape it—acting as the heart of the campus.
The design team worked in a close collaborative environment with stakeholders and users to formulate a dynamic, contemporary and flexible design that encompasses the changing nature of library use within modern Universities.
Queensland University of Technology
- 2013 Queensland Architecture Awards Regional Commendation - Art & Architecture
- 2012 Queensland Architecture Awards - State Award for Interior Architecture
- 2012 Queensland Architecture Awards - Brisbane Regional Commendation
- 2012 Council of Education Facility Planners International - Winner - Educational Facilities Award - Renovation/Modernisation
- 2012 Australian Interior Design Awards - Shortlist - Colour in Commercial Design
- 2012 Australian Interior Design Awards - Shortlist - Installation Design